Absolutely! Who hasn’t been on vacation and wished that there was someone who could take the kids for a few hours? Many families bring their au pairs along with them on vacation and have a fabulous time. When preparing to go on vacation, please keep the following things in mind.
1) If you are requiring your au pair to accompany you need to provide for her expenses.
2) You will need to give your au pair a schedule of on and off-duty time so she can plan her free time.
3) You still need to remain within the regulations, meaning no more than 10 on-duty hours per day and 45 hours per week.
4) During vacation, you can have your au pair sleep in the same room as your children, but most au pairs are uncomfortable sleeping in the same room as the host parents.
5) Be sure to make your au pair aware of any additional hazards that she or your children might not be aware of.
6) If you are traveling outside the US, your au pair will need to get a travel verification signed by Au Pair International and she might also need a visa for the country you are visiting.
Do you have more vacation questions? Feel free to ask them here or any other questions about the Au Pair Program or Au Pair International.
1 thought on “HF Q’s – Can I take my au pair on vacations with me?”
Taking an au pair on vacation is wonderful for both the host family and the au pair. The au pair gets to travel and the parents get a break and can have a baby sitter for a special night out. The only trouble is when host parents consider this vacation days for the au pair. They aren’t, the au pair is still working! But having an au pair also means an extra set of hands for minding the children, helping with luggage, and entertaining the kids during the travel.