The Golden Age of Pirates was from 1560 to 1730 and many of the most famous pirates were based in the Caribbean. The most notorious pirates lived around 1700 and include: Blackbeard (considered the most feared pirate), Calico Jack Rackham (who created the classic Jolly Roger flag with scull and crossbones), Henry Morgan and Bartholomew Roberts (both very successful pirates).
Fun Pirate Facts:
1. They Rarely Buried Treasure
2. Their Careers Didn’t Last Long
3. They Had Rules and Regulations
4. They Didn’t Walk the Plank
5. A Good Pirate Ship had Good Officers
6. The Pirates Didn’t Limit Themselves to the Caribbean
7. There Were Women Pirates
8. Piracy was better than the Alternatives
9. They came from all Social Classes
10. Not all Pirates were Criminals
Learn more about each of these facts at About.com.
Check out these and other books about Pirates at your local library.
Additional Lesson Plans:
Au Pair International puts together weekly learning crafts and activities called Theme of the Week to help au pairs and host parents with ideas about educational and fun activities to do with their kids. Want to learn more about au pairs? Check out au pair profiles on our website.