The typical reason for getting an au pair is “I go to work and need someone to care for my kids” and sometimes “I want my kids to learn a certain language”. While these are great reasons that people get an au pair, there are some other benefits that people don’t always think about.
1. Your au pair can move with you. One of the hardest things about moving is finding new childcare for your children, especially if you work odd hours. We have several families who move a couple of times per year or have several houses that they split their time between. They love that they can bring their au pair from location to location and have consistent, loving childcare.
2. Your au pair can travel with you. If you go on lots of business trips or family vacations, you can bring your au pair with you so you don’t have to be away from your children or try to find childcare along the way.
3. Your au pair can tutor your children. Many families get au pairs to teach their children a new language, but most of our au pairs have some college and a lot of au pairs have graduated with degrees in things like Economics, Physiotherapy, Law, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Political Science, Social Work, Tourism Management, Environmental Science, Advertising Design, Medical Assisting, or Business Administration. These au pairs have a lot of knowledge that they can pass on to your children.
4. Your au pair can coach your children in different skills and hobbies. Many au pairs are experienced in different activities such as violin, painting, tennis, dance, guitar, baking, piano, swimming, aerobics, and yoga. Wouldn’t it be great to get a childcare provider and piano teacher in one? Or maybe your au pair can teach you whole family about yoga or some other activity. Most au pairs have many skills that they would love to share with your family.
5. Your au pair can be a taxi driver. Some families don’t need childcare as much as a taxi driver, especially if they have older children. Whether it’s running kids to school, activities or appointments, au pairs can take over those responsibilities so you can focus on your responsibilities.
6. Your au pair can be the night nanny. Some families choose to have their au pair take the night shift so they can spend more quality time with the children during the day.
7. Your au pair can be a nurse. Some of our au pairs are trained as nurses (Aliona, DeuRe) or speech therapists (Ju Yeon). Others have experience with special needs children (Anna, Karen, and Thandeka). If you have a child that has special needs, many au pairs are uniquely qualified to give your child the one-on-one attention that will help your child learn and grow. Also, all au pairs can care for your children when they are sick so you don’t have to miss work.
What are some different reasons that you would like to have an au pair?
2 thoughts on “Top 7 Unexpected Reasons to get an Au Pair”